The 2012 movie Battleship is somewhat losely based on the Hasbro board game Battleships.
But since no-one wants to watch a dozen attractive actors and actresses sit around their kitchen table moving a bunch of pegs around, and calling out grid references, the movie makers have wisely decided to introduce some special effects, aliens and large weaponary.
But enough about the movie, that kind of film chatter is what imdb.com is for.
I am here to talk about toys, toys and more toys.
So first came the board game, then came the movie, which in reality was nothing like the board game, so then the board game needed a make-over and then the toy line needed expanding to include more than just the board game. Are you still with me?
The Battleship movie merchandise consists of two new versions of the board game, some clothing and accessories, a video game, and models within Hasbro’s own construction brand, Kre-O.
To coincide with the cinematic release of Battleship in Spring 2012, Hasbro have launched:
- Kreo USS Missouri model – 500+ pieces go into constructing this detailed model, which opens out to reveal 3 levels of play. For ages 8 years +, and costs around £75.
- Kreo Alien Strike – 250+ pieces to create an alien creature. For ages 7 years +, and costs around £30.
- Kreo Combat Chopper – 174 pieces to construct a missile launching helicopter, plus 2 minifigures. For ages 6 years +, and costs around £20.
- Kreo Land Defense – 4 minifigures and 80 pieces to construct weapons for them. For ages 6 years +, and costs around £12. Available from Amazon.
- Kreo Ocean Attack – 2 minifigures and 60 pieces to construct underwater vehicle. For ages 6 years +, and costs around £9. Available from Amazon.
- 2012 versions of Battleships board game – Available as the Classic manual version for £20, or an electronic Deluxe model that allows for solo play, for around £35.
- A Battleship video game – available for XBox, PS3, Nintendo DS, Wii and Nintendo 3DS
There’s also a BATTLESHIP: HIDDEN THREAT Card Game, but I can’t find in for sale anywhere.
Then later this year, I suspect around the date of the DVD release, and in time to whip up a little frenzy before the Christmas spending spree commences, there will be a second release of toys:
- KRE-O Mine-Stryker
- KRE-O Battle Base
- KRE-O Air Assault
All three of those sets will be suitable for kids aged 7 years and up, and will cost around £25.